MASSAMAN CURRY PASTE
3 Tbsp Dry red spur chilis, cut & soaked
1 Tbsp Lemongrass, chopped
1 Tbsp Galangal ginger, chopped
1 Tbsp Shallots, chopped
1 Tbsp Garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp Coriander root, chopped
½ Tsp Kaffir lime skin, chopped
3 Roasted cardamom seeds
½ Tsp Roasted coriander seeds
½ Tsp Roasted cumin seeds
½ Tsp Roasted white peppercorn seeds
1/8 Tsp Roasted nutmeg
½ Tsp Roasted cinnamon
½ Tsp Salt
¼ Tsp Shrimp paste
1. Remove seeds, cut, and soak dry red spur chilis in warm water for 15 minutes.
2. Lemongrass—use lower white part, smash, and chop finely.
3. Chop finely galangal ginger, coriander root, shallots, garlic, and kaffir lime skin.
4. Roast in dry wok fresh ingredients on medium heat—lemongrass & galangal ginger for 1 minute, then add coriander root & kaffir lime skin for another minute, then add shallots & garlic for last minute.
5. Cardamom seeds remove outer shell. Use only inside seed and combine with coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, nutmeg, and cinnamon and pound to a powder in a mortar.
6. Add soaked chilis plus salt and continue to smash to a paste.
7. Add roasted fresh ingredients and pound to a paste.
8. Add shrimp paste and combine well. Done
9. Place in refrigerator for future use.
*RECIPES & VIDEOS–
Recipes presented here will vary some from your class. Every instructor teaches differently, and cooking is an art, not a science. No two chefs will cook the same dish identically. This is why the same dish eaten in multiple restaurants will all taste a bit different. There is no such thing as “one” perfect recipe. These recipes have been reviewed by us and prepared by one of our instructors.
Videos above are prepared by Chef Dao, one of our instructors. To visit her YouTube channel, please click on this link: